Any organization or project supporting or engaging in summer camp style programming for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning or ally communities is eligible for membership in the Queer Camp Alliance.
At this time, membership in the Alliance is free. Members may be asked to sign letters of support for grant and funding proposals to support the work of the Alliance.
Initial benefits of joining the Queer Camp Alliance include:
- One seat on the Queer Camp Alliance Advisory Board
- Access to email based group discussions and support
Dedicated page on Alliance web site promoting your project or organization (example)
- Ability to edit and update your own page
- Proudly display the Queer Camp Alliance membership logo on your web site
- Assistance building increased credibility for and visibility of queer camp programming - including your own
As additional benefits and governance are developed, some elements may only be available to camp programs specifically working with LGBT participants or families. Members acting as partners to those programs or supportive camp programs will still receive a majority of the benefits made available.
Because the Summer 2011 season is almost upon us, efforts will be focused on preparing and supporting the Summer 2012 season.
Upon joining the Alliance you will be asked to complete a survey to help determine future benefits. However, ideas currently being considered include:
- Support for starting new queer camp programs
- Ability to post to a possible Queer Camp Alliance Blog
- Free website hosting
- Group purchasing of advertising
- Support publishing articles to major LGBTQ blogs
- Public relations and communications support
- Basic capacity building support
- Grant writing support
- Assistance with local public policy obstacles
- Information on relevant public policy efforts
- Discount at vendors and services
- Volunteer and staff education/training support
- Joint funding efforts - such as sharing an otherwise unobtainable grant
- Access to custom online web apps - like mailing lists, event registration and online donations
As participants on the Queer Camp Alliance Advisory Board, all members will have influence over the direction of the Alliance. Should the alliance take any positions on public policy matters, they will be decided by a majority vote of the membership at the time of the decision. Decisions on financial and programmatic aspects of the Queer Camp Alliance will be determined by the Aequalitas Project based on input from the Advisory Board.
You can find additional information about the Queer Camp Alliance, including answers to frequently asked questions from potential members, by visiting the "About" section.